This recipe created by nutritionist Jacqueline Alwill for Nuts for Life, puts a nutty and vegan spin on a classic pub staple. Swapping meat for plant, macadamia cauliflower schnitzel with pine nut almond ribbon salad makes for a nutritious ~and~ delicious midweek dins.
The classic schnitzel dinner has been given a 2021 plant makeover. The nutty crumble dials up the protein in this tasty meat-free dinner, so if you’re worried about feeling hungry afterwards, have no fear!
Like what you see? Sign up to our bodyandsoul.com.au newsletter for more stories like this.
Macadamia cauliflower schnitzel with pine nut almond ribbon salad
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
1 large cauliflower head, sliced into 2cm thick steaks or cauliflower nuggets (florets)
1 cup gluten free or spelt flour
2-3 large free-range eggs
¾ cup macadamia nuts, finely chopped
¾ cup quinoa flakes
Extra olive oil for frying
Salt and pepper
Pine nut ribbon salad:
1 carrot, peeled and trimmed
2 zucchinis, trimmed
2 tbsp pine nuts
2 tbsp roughly chopped almonds
1 green apple, cored and cut into thin sticks
1 ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp finely chopped mint
2 tbsp finely chopped dill
1. Place gluten-free or spelt flour on one plate, crack eggs onto a separate plate and whisk and on your third plate combine finely chopped macadamia nuts and quinoa flakes.
2. Pat the cauliflower dry after rinsing then coat well in flour, followed by a good coating of egg and finally the macadamia quinoa crumb. Set aside and repeat with remaining cauliflower.
3. Heat a frypan on medium heat and add a few tablespoons extra virgin olive oil to the pan.
4. Cook cauliflower six minutes each side or until lovely and golden on each side, keeping cooked pieces warm in a low oven in between.
5. Whilst cauliflower is cooking make the ribbon salad. Use your vegetable peeled to create ribbons with the vegetables.
6. Toast the pine nuts and almonds until golden.
7. Whisk together oil and vinegar and toss with vegetable ribbons, toasted pine nuts and almonds and fresh herbs.
8. Serve salad with macadamia cauliflower schnitzel.