Know the health benefits, uses, of Quinoa – a healthy superfood  |  Photo Credit: iStock Images
- Quinoa is a popular health food.
- Here are some health benefits of quinoa.
New Delhi: The lockdown ended up making people more aware and conscious about their health and fitness. Quinoa, among various other health foods, gained prominence. It is a South American grain that is loaded with nutrition. Apart from being a versatile ingredient, quinoa is also easily digestible. Here are five reasons as to why quinoa is beneficial for your health.
Health benefits of Quinoa
- Source of flavonoids: Flavonoids are antioxidants that help in keeping the cells healthy. Quercetin and Kaempferol are two types of flavonoids that are found in quinoa.
- High in fibre: Quinoa is a rich source of fibre and helps to enable weight loss. It is also helpful in lowering blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
- High in protein: Quinoa is an excellent source of protein that contains all amino acids. This makes it an easy protein source for vegans and vegetarians.
- Gluten-free: Gluten-free food is often considered to be healthy unless the food has natural gluten-free traits. Quinoa is a gluten-free ingredient, making it a healthy option for people with gluten intolerance.
- Helps in losing weight: Quinoa induces a feeling of fullness as it has a high fibre content it. Eventually, it decreases one’s consumption of calories, thereby, helping them lose weight. Furthermore, high protein content also enables metabolism.
Another amazing property of quinoa is how easy it is to incorporate it into the diet. This is mostly because it is easy to cook and tastes delicious. You can even use it instead of rice. Here are five ways you can include it in your diet.
Uses of Quinoa
- Salads: While preparing your salads, throw in a spoonful of cooked quinoa along with the vegetables and other ingredients to add nutrition to it.
- Smoothies: A convenient and easy way to get some extra nutrients is through smoothies. Hike the protein content in your smoothie by adding quinoa to your beverage ingredient and blending it together.
- Soups: While cooking your soup, stir some quinoa into it and enjoy the goodness of this protein-rich ingredient.
- Replace oatmeal: You can prepare quinoa easily just by boiling it until it gets soft and fluffy. You can use it as a substitute for oatmeal and include it in your diet.
- Desserts: Let your creativity run wild and feel free to use quinoa in your cupcake, cookie, pudding, or absolutely any other dessert recipe.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.