Beginning Sept. 8, the Apache Junction Unified School District will offer free nutritious breakfasts and lunches to children age 18 and younger at two locations in Apache Junction and one in Gold Canyon.
Enrollment at an AJUSD school is not required. All children 18 and under are eligible for free meals regardless of family income. Everyone is welcome, according to a release.
“Pursuant to the authority in Section 2202(a) of the Families First Coronavirus Response Act and based on the exceptional circumstances of this public health emergency, the Food and Nutrition Service is allowing school food authorities to operate the summer food service program through Dec. 31, 2020,” according to the release.
Students attending schools will receive free breakfast and lunch each day. Meals will also be distributed curbside and include the following:
- Hybrid-learning students attending school two days a week will receive three days of breakfasts and lunches.
- Online learners will receive five days of breakfasts and lunches.
- Other children in the community will receive five days of breakfasts and lunches.
Curbside hours are 7-8:30 a.m. and 4:30-6 p.m. on Wednesdays Sept. 9, 16 and 23. Future hours will be posted at a later date.
Curbside food distribution will be from:
- Apache Junction High School, 2525 S. Ironwood Drive in Apache Junction: Enter the drive on the east side of the football field and drive around to the Davis Field sign. The food service staff will be distributing meals under the sign.
- Four Peaks Elementary School, 1785 N. Idaho Road in Apache Junction: Enter through the parent drop off and meet the food service staff.
- Peralta Trail Elementary School, 10965 E. Peralta Road in Gold Canyon: Enter through the parent drop off and meet the food service staff.
The institution is an equal-opportunity provider, the release states.
For more information, contact AJUSD at 480-982-1110 x2201.